The ShowerStick - A True Shower Water Softener!
The ShowerStick is a true water “softener” since it removes hard water minerals such as calcium and magnesium which are known to cause dry skin and hair. This means the water from the ShowerStick will test as soft water when using a hard water test kit. But this isn’t the case with a shower water “filter” since they are not capable of removing any hard water minerals (see for yourself by using a hard water test kit). This is the reason so many people who first try using a shower filter alone don’t end up happy with the results it gives. It’s great that a filter removes chlorine, but to get the best results regarding your skin and hair, you need to soften the water. For a more in-depth explanation regarding why shower filters don’t soften water, please follow the link: Does a shower filter soften water? Have you ever seen the white chalky buildup on a glass shower door that’s hard to remove? That’s hard water! And if it’s building up on the inside of your shower, you can bet it’s doing the same thing on your skin, scalp and hair – yuk! The ShowerStick will remove these nasty minerals and a bonus is that your shower will stay much cleaner too. Although the ShowerStick costs more to purchase initially than a shower filter, it costs a lot less in the long run. Think about how much you spend yearly on shower filters and multiply that number by 10. Ten years is the average lifespan of the ShowerStick so it ends up costing far less and it does so much more.
HOW IT WORKS:
The ShowerStick hooks up to a standard 1/2” American shower pipe. Similar to whole house water softeners, the ShowerStick contains resin beads which soften water through a process called “ion exchange”. As water travels through the ShowerStick, hard water ions like calcium, magnesium and iron are attracted to the resin beads since the ions have a positive charge and the resin has a negative charge. So the ions “stick” to the resin beads and once the beads collect all the ions they can hold, they need to be regenerated (“washed”). Regeneration is done by pouring a solution of sodium (“salt”) and water into the ShowerStick’s regeneration port (granulated table salt is mixed with tap water in a one liter bottle). The resin beads let go of the hard water ions and “exchange” them for the sodium ions so you’ll again have soft water! The process then keeps repeating. On average, most of our customers determine they need to regenerate weekly. How often you need to regenerate depends on the hardness of your water, the duration of water usage and water pressure. The hard water test kit (included) will help you determine how often to regenerate.
- ShowerStick true water softener PVC body with softening resin
- Handheld shower head and hose
- Shower arm mount with angle connector attached
- Hard water test kit
- Regeneration port for easy regeneration of the resin
- Plumber’s thread seal tape
- The ShowerStick body is made of durable 3″ PVC pipe
- ShowerStick body dimensions: 4″ diameter x 18″ length
- Fully assembled length from bottom tip of shower pipe to bottom of hose loop is 37″ and 23″ to bottom of ShowerStick body (42″ and 28″ with KDF filter installed.)
- Weight of ShowerStick when full of water with all additional parts is approximately 7.5 pounds
- The lifespan of the resin is up to 10 years if it’s regenerated as needed and is protected from chlorine and other contaminants either by adding a KDF shower filter (see below) or by using a whole house filtration system. Otherwise, the lifespan may be shorter
- 1.8 GPM continuous flow
- Dull, dry ‘straw-like’, brittle, frizzy, lifeless and unmanageable hair
- Hair loss, breakage and thinning
- Hair color fading
- Dry itchy skin (soft water is also great for dogs or other animals who suffer with skin diseases or disorders)
- Skin issues such as psoriasis and eczema (also known as dermatitis) and skin yeast infections
- Soaps and shampoos don’t lather properly which causes you to use too much of them which contributes to more dried out skin and hair
- Acne breakouts
- Can cause blonde hair to turn red or orange
- Soaps and shampoos leave residue on your skin and in your hair because they don’t dissolve easily in hard water
- Flaky, itchy scalp (dandruff)
Unless you have a whole house filtration system, the KDF filter should be installed in-line with the ShowerStick. Using a filter to remove chlorine and other contaminants from your shower water is not only great for YOU but it also protects the softening resin inside the ShowerStick to ensure it stays healthy and has a long lifespan. The KDF filter effectively removes 95-99% of chlorine and up to 98% of inorganic water-soluble heavy metals such as lead, mercury, nickel and chromium. It also controls the buildup of microorganisms such as bacteria, algae, fungi and mold. It lasts longer than most other types of shower filters and it works more effectively at high water temperatures (unlike carbon filters) which makes it perfect for showers. The KDF filter should be replaced yearly (or sooner if you smell the presence of chlorine).
May be needed if you have a stall shower with a center mounted single lever water control knob that is mounted higher up to where the ShowerStick may hang down in front of it. This usually isn’t needed with a tub shower since the faucet controls are mounted low enough to not interfere with the ShowerStick being able to hang unobstructed. The ShowerStick hangs down 23″ from the bottom tip of your shower pipe to the bottom of the ShowerStick body (28″ with KDF filter installed). The offset connector will offset the ShowerStick 4″ to either side of your water control knob. Includes a jumbo-sized suction cup with loop to attach to your shower wall and a nylon zip tie to wrap around the ShowerStick body and through the suction cup’s loop to keep the ShowerStick hanging straight. Note: The suction cup does not support the weight of the ShowerStick.
- 3.96 x 6.31
- Easy to apply
- Made from thick, high-quality vinyl