When to Regenerate:
You don’t need to regenerate your ShowerStick prior to its first use. How often you regenerate depends on your water hardness, how many people are using the shower and how often, the duration of each shower and the water pressure. After you install the ShowerStick, use the test kit and you’ll see that you now have soft water (1-3 drops/grains). Repeat this process after each shower and when the test kit shows your water is no longer soft, you’ll know it’s time to regenerate. Now you’ll know how many showers you can take before needing to regenerate again in the future and will no longer need to use the test kit. (Note: Don’t test the water right after regenerating – the salt still inside from regenerating will test as a mineral so the salt needs to be flushed out first for at least 2 minutes). At what point you choose to regenerate is up to your personal preference. Some people who have skin disorders will regenerate at 3-4 grains while others are fine regenerating at 7 grains.
(Water hardness in grains: Soft = 0-3, Moderately Hard = 3-7, Hard = 7-10, Very Hard = 10-14, Extremely Hard = 14+).
How to Regenerate:
1. Remove the regeneration port cap and gently place the shower head on your shower floor to allow the water to drain (takes about 2 minutes).
2. Prepare your salt water solution. Using an empty 1 liter water or soft drink bottle, pour 1 cup (or 3/4 cup if you have the ShowerStick with IRON CONTROL resin) granulated (fine grain) table salt (plain or iodized) into the bottle and fill with hot tap water. Shake well until all salt is dissolved.
3. With the shower head still on the floor, slowly pour your salt water solution into the regeneration port. For the salt that’s left at the bottom of the bottle undissolved, pour more hot water into the bottle, shake, then pour inside. The more the salt is dissolved, the better job it will do to regenerate the resin.
4. Once all the salt water flows out through the shower head and into the drain (takes about 2 minutes), put the shower head back up in the shower arm mount and re-attach the regeneration port cap.
5. Take a shower right after regenerating or run the water for 1-2 minutes to flush the residual salt through the resin to finish the regeneration process to ensure you’ll obtain the longest possible duration of soft water until your next regeneration.
NOTE: Our previous regeneration instructions also work great and can continue to be used. However, after extensive testing we’ve found that with our current instructions the duration between regenerations needed is slightly extended.